Monday, February 4, 2008

Tis' the Season...

Tis the Season of Lent.... I have to admit that it is only in recent years that I have truly come to love and appreciate the season of Lent. I know, in our secular world, most people don't probably think of Lent as a season to be celebrated. Hallmark isn't advertising its Lenten Cards, people aren't having Lent Open Houses, the corporate world does not give Holy Week to employees as a holiday... but to me it has become a very important season in my Christian walk.

The importance and my love of Lent truly increased in 2006... this was the year when Scott started working in Ohio Monday through Friday, leaving me in Minnesota with a 4 month old. Talk about 40 days in the desert fighting with the Devil... we faced a lot. But we knew that at the end of the time, we would be a new family in a new home, in a new place. And let me tell you that first Easter in Ohio (9 days after we moved) was so filled with joy and new beginnings.

Oh, I don't even dare to compare our experiences with what Christ did for us. But I do believe that sometimes God puts events and seasons in our lives so that we may just have a glimpse of what His only, precious Son did for us on the cross.

So as we begin this season of Lent, I am reminded not only of seasons past in our lives, but of the greatest season to come... Eternal Life with my Savior.

2 comments:

MT said...

I look forward to Lent, too. There are so many simple ways to get closer to Jesus through prayer and action.

the buurstra's said...

'tis the season for a new blog post! :)